We encourage you to take at least 2 yoga classes a week for 2 months prior to the training (a total of 16 classes minimum). If this is not possible in your situation, please let us know during your enrollment process so that we can discuss your personal yoga history. We welcome beginner and seasoned students.
TECHNIQUES, TRAINING AND PRACTICE, 75 HOURS
● Historical context
● Posture alignment
● Complete and safe sequencing
● Anatomical/alignment principles and contraindications
Pranayama & Subtle Body
● Historical context
● Effects of pranayama on body
● Sequencing with alternatives and adaptations
● Ujjayi, Nadi Shodhana, Kapalabhati, others
● Koshas, kleshas, chakras, nadis, prana vayus
● Key meditation terms
● Ability to practice meditation
● Chanting, mantras, and mudras
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY, 30 HOURS
Anatomy and Physiology
● Skeletal system, muscular system
● Nervous system (stress response, mind-body connection)
● Bodily systems as they relate to yoga practice
● Respiratory system involvement
● Types of joint movement
● Movement for balancing, stretching, awareness, and
● Contraindications, adaptations
YOGA HUMANITIES, 40 HOURS
● Definition of yoga
● Lineage, key ideas, and dates of Vedas, Vedanta, Hatha, Colonial, Modern
● Relationship of asana, pranayama, meditation
● Major yogic texts
● How philosophy relates to the practice
● Yoga Sutras ethical precepts
● Yoga Alliance ethical scope of practice
● Increasing equity in yoga
● Accountability measures
● How yoga ethics relate to practice and teaching
PROFESSIONAL ESSENTIALS, 55 HOURS
● Sequencing, pace, cueing (verbal, visual, physical)
● Environment, class management
● YA credentialing process, continuing education
● Ethical commitment, liability, insurance, waivers
● Continuing education
● Professionalism, marketing, and promotion
● Practice teaching exercises in small groups
● Giving/receiving feedback, mentoring, self-evaluations
● Design & teach a full yoga class in personal style
● Yoga research or specialized applications
● Practicum is completed within the training with classmates and lead teacher
Your yoga certification will be in multi-style yoga. We feel it is valuable in modern times to have a well-rounded yoga education. We pride ourselves on giving you a unique educational experience with an introduction to many yoga styles and traditions so that you may develop your own individual teaching voice from what you've learned.
Absolutely! Yoga is for everyone and every body. There are lots of ways to practice, teach, and engage in the training without doing every single posture. Your experience will serve as a teacher to others. Plus, we spend lots, if not more, time on philosophy, ethics, and the non-physical parts of this discipline.
Yes! After you complete the full 200-HR yoga teacher training, you will have the tools to organize and teach classes. You will also be able to register as a nationally recognized yoga teacher through Yoga Alliance (YA). While many studios do not require you to be registered with YA, they may request to see a graduation certificate from the yoga school you studied with.
We require all students to have English-language competency, go through a 15-minute phone interveiw, have experience practicing with a yoga teacher or therapist, and demonstrate physical/mental health and readiness to fully participate in the demands of this program. You can read through all of the pre-enrollment information HERE.
• 100% attendance
• Participation in daily classroom discussion and teaching-practicum
• Prepare and teach a 20-minute yoga class
• Prepare and teach two 60-minute yoga classes
• Complete and demonstrate comprehension of the final written exam
All of these items will explained in-depth at the beginning of training and completed throughout the duration of the training. You will be well prepared to accomplish these items.
We recognize that 200 hours is a big commitment, and that there are some unavoidable time conflicts. However, we do have an attendance policy that we ask ALL students to agree to before enrolling. Missed hours require private make-up sessions and a make-up fee. If you'd like more information on this, please reach out, and let's chat about your needs.
HYI's 200HR in-person program is approved for students with VA benefits. Please click here to check your eligibility for the GI Bill® or call the GI Bill® Student Help Line at (888) 442-4551. We look forward to helping you complete your 200-HR YTT with this special tuition assistance option.
If you are a spouse of someone who is active in the military, you may be eligible for the federal MyCAA tuition assistance program. Please click here to learn more about the MyCAA program. We look forward to helping you complete your 200-HR YTT with this special 100-percent tuition assistance option.
Yes! If you have specific questions about payment or certification, please reach out.
For the extended weekends program, we do NOT offer housing. However we are happy to make some recommendations and connect you with any other students who are also looking for housing.
For the 3-week immersion program, YES, we do offer housing. More information is here. Space is limited.
We can't wait to learn with you.
2023© Hawaii Yoga Institute is a 501(c)(3) corporation organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill | Yoga Alliance®
(808) 262 - YOGA